Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Re-vamp that lamp (shade)

As some of you might know I am "frugal" - and I am only saying frugal because CHEAP just doesn't sound as nice.... haha
For someone that doesn't like change - I sure change things up ALOT! I paint and then re-paint, I decorate and then re-decorate , I move furniture and then re-move furniture , I blame it on my ADHD that I have self diagnosed myself with :)
SO moving into the new house I just feel that its color scheme (for now) needs to have blues and greens in it. The last place was more of the carmel, red , goldenrod tones....I'm just not feeling it here. Since I am not feeling it and EVERYTHING I own seems to be of the carmel, red, goldenrod color I say to myself..do I force the wrong color feel ? Do I buy new stuff? OR do I revamp it all???? Yes revamp revamp revamp. And do it with glittery frugalness........
Over the dining table is one of those lights where you can put those little shades on the light bulb. I bought some little shades on clearance  for $1.29..... they are a deep red, which at the time I bought them I didn't know that I wasn't going to be "feeling" that color, anyhow who turns down $1.29 , right? I get a catalog in th email from Ballard Designs.... after I got finished choking on the prices $$$$ I started my frugal wheels turning. The red shades just stuck out like a big finger in the eye. I see these little shades in the catalog for a price of 21.00 EACH or if you kindly order 5 or more they are ONLY 19.00 each... humm I would need 5, so 95.00 for some tiny little shades - NOT HAPPENING TO THIS GIRL ! Instead, I take my 1.29 shade , rip the top layer off and add natural colored raffia and wa la! So doing the math of 1.29 x 5, plus 1.00 for raffia , and 2.00 for the glue sticks= $9.45 hummm YES TO THIS GIRL !!! :) Of course the shades do not look exactly like the catalog but if I am saving $85.00 - it sure is close enough. How does this relate to Christmas 365??? I bought the shades after Christmas when they were clearancing out :) Christmas might have been over but the shades I will use the entire year (or until I change ;) @
Before
during
 
After

1 comment: